Every team must be registered with a coach (including single-person teams). In order to register the coach must be at least 21 years of age. We recommend having teachers, administrators, parents, or siblings serve as coaches. A coach is qualified as being responsible and confident; they are organized, cheerful, determined, and willing to devote time and effort in bringing the best team to the tournament. We prefer they are from the student’s high school area/ community so that the students are able to connect with them easily. For every 12 students a team must have one coach (if you have a team of 24, you would be required to have 2 coaches present at all times). All Coaches must register online and approve their teams’ registration.
- To be present at most MIST team meetings and practices.
- To make sure the team arrives on time for any MIST related events, such as Basketball and the Tournament (all three days).
- To understand that MIST Coaches are role models to the members of their teams and to exhibit outstanding character and judgment when working with their team.
- Coaches MUST ensure that competitors who are on their team all attend that high school.
- Any questions, concerns, or complaints by the competitors must first be addressed to the team’s coach directly. In the event that an MIST organizer’s assistance is required, only the coach may approach the MIST organizer, insha’Allah. Anything regarding fairness of rules, team placement, etc must be addressed to the coach, who will then address those concerns to the MIST organizers. Students may not bring these issues directly to the MIST Regional Director during the tournament weekend.
- All coaches MUST attend a mandatory Coaches’ Orientation during the tournament weekend. They will be informed of the orientation in advance and are expected to come on time, and to stay the entire time. The coach should accept that they are the role model and adviser for their team, and the MIST Board relies heavily on their time as Coach.
- Coaches must serve as the point of contact in case of an emergency or if the student needs to be reached by his/her parent or guardian. Please make sure that parents have the coach’s contact information.
- Coaches must keep track of each student he/she is supervising and make sure they follow the MIST Rules and Regulations. He/she is responsible for setting meeting points and making sure the students are in their respective competitions or workshops on time.